Sunday 27 March 2011

Beautiful, but not exactly sure ….

What these beauties are.  Mr Radders and I inherited them when we bought our house years ago and every spring, without fail, they appear; slightly later this year, though I’m thinking this may be due to the awful winter we’ve had.

SAM_0007

I think that they may possibly be some kind of fritillary – possibly Fritillaria meleagris aka Snakeshead Fritillary; a perennial usually to be found on damp meadowland.  This is a distinct possibility as we have a very damp clay-type soil in our garden. Whatever they are, they’re beautiful and it always cheers me so much to see them, I feel like summer is on the way at last! Hopefully!

SAM_0008

We have two clumps of these beauties and the photo below is a slightly smaller plant.  Every year they go and every year I worry that winter will kill them off and they wont come back, but every year, miraculously, they return.

SAM_0014

A lovely little bit of constancy in an ever-changing world.

Hope you are all well.

BTW If I have wrongly identified this plant and anyone thinks it may be something else  I’d love to hear from you, so please do get in touch.

Bye for now Radders xx

2 comments:

  1. We had some when we bought our house. They are long gone now, but I do believe they are exactly what you think they are. They are so beautiful aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment - I do love these flowers so, so much, I love their delicate purplish mauve pattern,like a little purple chessboard. I have looked them up in a garden book and we are both right - they are fritillaries.

    ReplyDelete