Thursday 7 April 2011

A little beauty in an unexpected place …

As I said in my last post I intended to get out there and look at what was really around in terms of wild plants; this morning while out walking, I found and snapped these little beauties.  They were actually on a pavement side verge approaching the bridge to the local bypass.

1302164491182

So I stopped, whipped out my mobile phone, probably much to the amusement of passing drivers (“Oh look there’s a mad woman, out in daylight!” kind of thing) and proceeded to snap away to my heart’s content.

You probably can’t see them very well, but the blue flowers in the centre of the picture are grape hyacinths (Muscari neglectum) and they belong (strangely enough) to the lily family.  I suspect that they are a garden escape – but from where I cannot tell as there are no houses in the immediate vicinity.  Still, I suppose they could have been carried there by a bird or found their way there by some other means. 

I couldn’t tell whether they had a fragrance, like other hyacinths.  Frankly, err, the thought of getting down in the grass with crisp packets, cigarette ends and coke cans was not appealing so I didn’t bother, but I am excited to have found something that’s a little bit out of the ordinary, and had a lovely walk too.  The weather here in west Wales is setting up for quite a nice afternoon. What’s the weather like where you are? 

Bye for now

Love and Hugs Radders x

No comments:

Post a Comment