Sunday 13 March 2011

Roads that lead to …

Call me funny, if you like, but I’ve always had a thing about country lanes that wind off into seemingly nowhere.  Where do they go?  It’s just one thing that I’ve always been curious about; if you started to walk where you get to, where would you go?  Call me sad, if you like, but on Google maps I like to follow isolated roads to see where they go, just something I like to do.

To this slightly weird end, I discovered a book in my local library called Roads and Tracks of Britain by Christopher Taylor.  I’m finding it a fantastically interesting read.  I’ve always wondered about the history of roads.

Who started them and when?  Who decided where they would start and where they would  go and who decided where they would end and why?

Fortunately I know exactly where this lovely road goes because I took the photograph myself.  It’s down by the cathedral and the river in St Davids in Pembrokeshire, a place that is truly beautiful to look at and spiritually refreshing for the soul.  One of my favourite places, I love it here, and hoping to go back soon.

SSL20019

I’m off now to go wandering …

Bye for now Radders xx

No comments:

Post a Comment